Resources for Contractors
Prepare for when your workers are exposed to COVID-19.
How to decrease the size of an outbreak on your job site
Process to follow when a worker develops COVID-19 symptoms
When a worker reports they have symptoms or that they were exposed to COVID-19 off the job site
- Give them the information they need to get tested. Any symptomatic person should be assumed to be COVID-19 positive unless proven negative by testing.
- Worker immediately goes home and stays as isolated from household members as possible while awaiting results
- The point contract tracing staff member is informed, and notes who was exposed and on what date
If the individual tests POSITIVE:
- Identify those that were within 6 feet for 15 cumulative minutes in the past 2 days. Send them to get tested and to quarantine.
- Contact the CTC or your LBOH and have their names and contact info ready. Discuss the situation with CTC or LBOH to identify if additional people need to be tested.
- Employee who tested positive continues to quarantine until cleared by DPH
- Disinfect area in which they were working
- In addition to those that were identified as close contacts, identify any other workers that were working in the same room and share with the LBOH for guidance on next steps.
If the individual tests NEGATIVE:
- If the individual was identified as directly exposed to someone with COVID-19, even if the test result is negative, a quarantine period is highly recommended.
Poorly ventilated spaces lead to higher risk of transmission and increase risk, even when maintaining 6 feet of distance between people.
- Reduce the use of trailers and the number of people that use them
- Lunch: eat in your car (alone) or outside (socially distanced)
- Maintain as much ventilation at the construction site as possible
- Keep all windows and doors open unless it’s storming
Ventilation reduces spread both on the worksite and at home.
This is the year to be ready for the cold.
Workers should have or be provided the tools they need in order to not incentivize unsafe practices:
- Layered clothing
- Heat can still be used with windows open, especially radiators